Skip to main content

Your (Non) Weekly Christian Mate Pulisic Update

I wish Christian Pulisic's middle name was actually "Mate," mostly because I'm sitting on a balcony in the beautiful city of Vancouver right now drinking mate. But it's actually Mâte, although I think the diacritic would be upside down, but either way the point I'm failing to make is that the pronunciation would be different. Christian has a Croatian passport. This is what allowed him to play for Dortmund at such a young age. There were actually a LOT of factors that allowed Christian to play at Dortmund at such a young age. For example, Sven Mislintat. From what I can gather, a Dortmund scout (I'm assuming Mislintat) was in Turkey for the U-17 Aegean cup back in 2014 (?). But they were actually there to watch Haji Wright. The thing that's so interesting is that Haji actually played well. It's not like he played terrible and Christian stole the show. But Dortmund saw something in Christian. They pursued him. And because his grandfather was Croatian he was able to get an EU passport and start at Dortmund way younger than he would've been able to otherwise.

Fast forward to today and Christian is, and please don't discute this, the best player in American soccer history. At least talent wise. Talent wise it's not really close.

What I want to know is how that all happened? How does he go from being just another dude on the U-17 team to playing for Chelsea in just a few years? And the answer probably is that there are a host of factors. Dortmund was massive, obviously. They take young rough diamonds and polish them into beauties. Just look at Ousmane Dembele. Just look at Jadon Sancho. Just look at a number of guys.

In fact, not to go on a tangent, but I think Jadon Sancho will be one of the best in the world in a few years if he stays healthy. Don't quote me on that. But also, if I'm right, do quote me on that.

Other factors: Pulisic has stayed (relatively) injury free. His mental game is incredible (he doesn't really look at social media or read about himself in the news). He had Jurgen Klinsmann at the USMMT ready to give him a chance when he was just 17. "The youngest player in the modern era...."

Anyway, that's kind of what I'm thinking about today as I now sit on the toilet. This weekend Chelsea play Manchester United in their first game of this season's Premier League. Pulisic might not start, but he'll almost definitely play. And to think, just a few years ago, none of this was even on the horizon, or if it was on the horizon it was so distant that the guy in the crow's nest thought it was a cloud when it was actually a blue whale. But sometimes things come together like that. They snowball and they snowball and what started as something else is barely recognizable afterward. This is not exactly one of those cases. Christian Pulisic is still the same player he was when he was 14. Just a little better and a little tougher and a little more refined. And on a much bigger stage.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Pulisic injury and the real reason he's so good

Apparently Christian Pulisic is injured. Which I find interesting, because how can you injure someone whose flesh and blood are not of this world? To injure Christian Pulisic you'd have to touch him, and I've seen what happens when defenders try to touch Christian Pulisic. Generally the ball goes through their legs or they fall down or, in the rare cases when they do lay a by comparison leprous arm on him, they concede some kind of free kick in a dangerous era. So I don't know about this supposed shin injury. And if he is injured, I doubt it happened on the pitch. I bet Isak was playing a prank on him or something like that. Maybe Aubameyang. But I'd bet dollars to proverbial donuts he's not actually injured. His presence was of course missed on the field against Wolfsburg yesterday, though his replacement, Jadon Sancho, killed it. I didn't know Jadon Sancho was that good. I'd seen him his first time on the field, but that was only a few minutes. I sinc

A Letter to Allah or Jesus Concerning Christian Pulisic

It's been a long time since I posted anything. The reason for this is because I moved to Guadalajara, Mexico, and things have been kind of weird. I'm barely surviving. I'm teaching English classes for a painfully low amount. And I don't really know how it's going to change in the next few days, though I know something needs to change. BUT JESUS FUCKING SHIT, ENOUGH ABOUT ME, LET'S TALK ABOUT CHRISTIAN FUCKING PULISIC. So, I never talked about this "dunk": Don't forget, Christian Pulisic is 5'8" 😳 (via @cpulisic_10 ) pic.twitter.com/FfQw1kWOGP — Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) January 2, 2018 And the reason I didn't talk about it is because I don't really care. But one thing I will say is that I don't really believe it. Which is a little bit crazy, since Pulisic confirmed in a video the other day that the rim was indeed 10 feet. That's the part I don't really believe. Because it doesn't look like he j

Hey Peter Bosz, play Pulisic in the middle (thoughts on Borussia Dortmund vs. Apoel Nicosia)

This morning I got up to rain and wind here in Seattle. I should've known it was a presage of things to come. I went to the grocery store and had tea and wrote some letters. Basically, I was trying to kill time until 11:45am Pacific time, when Champions League started. And then it started. I'd downloaded Sling TV to be able to watch ESPN 3 and Borussia Dortmund vs. Apoel Nicosia, one of the top Cypriot clubs. The good thing about watching this game was I got to learn the word "Cypriot." The bad thing is it was an absolute abortion. A few times during the first half I actually said, in a loud voice in my living room, "This is an abortion." Other things I said: "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?" -- when Götze, Bartra, Yarmolenko, Toprak, Auba, Pulisic and Kagawa gave away the ball time after time after time. "YOU ARE FUCKING OLD AND SLOW." -- when Yarmolenko could've easily gotten to a ball but was too, well, old and slow "