Skip to main content

Match Preview: Dortmund vs. Monaco, Champions League Bash, Pulisic Due, Who the hell is Michael Bradley?

Friends,

Today's post will be a little different, as I will not only be commenting on Wednesday's Champions League extravaganza between Borussia Dortmund (all hail their name) and Monaco, but also the upcoming USMNT friendlies Christian Pulisic is slated to participate in, along with some bald guy who's not very good at soccer.
I don't want to go into this too much, so that's all I'm going to say: Michael Bradley is a kook. He's been the worst USMNT player for a long time. He's one of the key reasons the USMNT has been bad over the last six or so years. And now they're bringing him back? Good one, Dave Sarachan. Really showing you know something about the game. Good one, US Soccer. Why don't we bring back Jozy Altidore too, then? And Clint Dempsey? And Landon Donovan? Why don't we play with the same players we had in the mid 90s? That would certainly be very fitting for the USMNT.

But enough about the USMNT. They'll eventually work it out, it might just take a few more humiliations. Let's talk now about Dortmund's clash Wednesday against a team called Monaco. Two years ago I actually went to Monaco. I was staying in Nice, getting over a broken heart or possibly just a congested chest, and took a day trip into Monaco. I walked by the ritzy hotels. I walked down to the water and dangled my feet over the the edge of dock. And then I walked to a cafe and got a baguette. That was the extent of my stay in Monaco. The things that impressed me were: It's really freaking mountainous, and, it's just cool to say, "I'm in Monaco."

But I don't remember anything about a soccer stadium.

Also two years ago a young Frenchman made his debut for Monaco. You might have heard of him.

 Imagine if Jesus would've played soccer, and you get an idea of how talented Kylian Mbappe is. He's Top 5 in the world right now. That is not my opinion. That is a fact. Messi, a guy accused of sexual assault, Mbappe -- and who else. Kane? Salah? Daniel Sturridge (jk)?

But now who does Monaco have? People who watched the World Cup will recognize names like Falcao, who played for a South American team that tried to cheat its way to the top and almost succeeded. They also have goalkeeper Danijel Subasic, and a guy named Pele. I'm pretty sure it's not THE Pele, but I could be mistaken. I've been known to be mistaken. I'm usually mistaken.

Lucien Favre, meanwhile, is facing a grandiose Paradox of Choice. It's like he's a chef with the best ingredients in the world, but if he combines the flavors wrong, the results could be dastardly. Bundesliga.com seems to think Pulisic will start up top along with Reus, Sancho, and everyone's tenth favorite Spaniard, Paco Alcacer. Paco Alcacer doesn't speak German. I'm pretty sure he doesn't speak English. But he does have great presence on the ball, and has shown a knack for putting the ball in the back of the net.

The keys to this game will be the following: weather the storm in the first 20 minutes, as Monaco are going to come out swinging like a bantam weight who's just snorted several lines of cocaine and wants nothing more than to get into a fight. But if Dortmund can get on the board first, things should be relatively straightforward. The one thing they can't do is assume victory in any way. Monaco is not a bad team. They're not what I would call a good team, but they're not a bad team either.

Pulisic should start, and seems to have a knack for elevating his game when the pressure is on. He scored the winning goal against Brugge, and granted it was a bit of a fluke, but he worked his ass off and deserved it. In case you don't remember, he also had this little ditty against Benfica awhile back:

Since Dortmund are playing at home, I predict a victory. I predict a 2-1 score line in Dortmund's favor. I predict a good game, since Monaco absolutely needs a victory if they want any chance of going into the round of 16.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom, because I just ate a bunch of uncooked prawns. All hail Champions League and all hail Borussia Dortmund.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Pulisic injury and the real reason he's so good

Apparently Christian Pulisic is injured. Which I find interesting, because how can you injure someone whose flesh and blood are not of this world? To injure Christian Pulisic you'd have to touch him, and I've seen what happens when defenders try to touch Christian Pulisic. Generally the ball goes through their legs or they fall down or, in the rare cases when they do lay a by comparison leprous arm on him, they concede some kind of free kick in a dangerous era. So I don't know about this supposed shin injury. And if he is injured, I doubt it happened on the pitch. I bet Isak was playing a prank on him or something like that. Maybe Aubameyang. But I'd bet dollars to proverbial donuts he's not actually injured. His presence was of course missed on the field against Wolfsburg yesterday, though his replacement, Jadon Sancho, killed it. I didn't know Jadon Sancho was that good. I'd seen him his first time on the field, but that was only a few minutes. I sinc

A Letter to Allah or Jesus Concerning Christian Pulisic

It's been a long time since I posted anything. The reason for this is because I moved to Guadalajara, Mexico, and things have been kind of weird. I'm barely surviving. I'm teaching English classes for a painfully low amount. And I don't really know how it's going to change in the next few days, though I know something needs to change. BUT JESUS FUCKING SHIT, ENOUGH ABOUT ME, LET'S TALK ABOUT CHRISTIAN FUCKING PULISIC. So, I never talked about this "dunk": Don't forget, Christian Pulisic is 5'8" 😳 (via @cpulisic_10 ) pic.twitter.com/FfQw1kWOGP — Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) January 2, 2018 And the reason I didn't talk about it is because I don't really care. But one thing I will say is that I don't really believe it. Which is a little bit crazy, since Pulisic confirmed in a video the other day that the rim was indeed 10 feet. That's the part I don't really believe. Because it doesn't look like he j

Pulisic Makes Bryan Ruiz Look like a Nerd

Friends, friends, friends. I made it to Germany. I'm drinking instant coffee in my Air Bnb which is just a hop skip and a triple jump away from the illustrious city of Mainz, where Dortmund will be playing next Tuesday. I'm excited. Barring injury (tap on wood; chainsaw), Pulisic SHOULD PLAY IN THIS GAME. He might not start. But he should at least play. Though lately he's been STARTING EVERY DAMN GAME because he's a FUCKING ANIMAL. AHSDJFJADSKFJDASKFJDSFKDSJFKDSJFDKJD. (I don't handle caffeine well). Quick side note: This Air Bnb is amazing. This town is amazing. My German is about an A2/B1 but I've spoken only German since I've gotten here, since the hostess is from Kosovo and doesn't speak English and the other tenant is a Turkish girl whose English is probably about as good as my German but I've been pushing the German pretty hard because I gotta speak it. Other side note: One of my blog posts has over 100 views. Two of them actually. Who