Skip to main content

Dortmund Thrill vs. Leverkusen, Pulisic Not So Much


Dortmund played Bayer Leverkusen today in Leverkusen in the most exciting match of matchday six. I didn't know how to feel about it, however, much like I don't know how I feel about this blog moving to wordpress.com. I really don't like Wordpress themes. They all look the same. They're all ugly. And so I think I might be going back to Blogger. Hopefully you will follow me there. The reason I didn't know how to feel about today's game was because even though the game was thrilling, and Dortmund came from behind, and from a Dortmund fan perspective the game was a 10 out of 10, from a Pulisic fan perspective it was a bit of a letdown because not only did he not play that well, he was also was subbed off in the 60th minute. And so I felt kind of how a dad might feel if he was watching his son's violin concert, making eyes with the cute mom of the girl who plays the cello from across the aisle. On the one hand it's titillating, I might not be going home alone tonight, but on the other hand when my son touches the violin strings it sounds like dogshit and everyone in the concert hall cringes. Which is not to say Pulisic played like dogshit. He played OK. But he was instantly overshadowed by Jadon Sancho when he came on, who played like a young Dumbledore, roaming around Hogwarts and using all kinds of weird spells to flirt with the girls. Sancho looked like he was having fun out there. Pulisic looked like he was struggling. And here's my real issue with this: This seems to have been happening ever since the USMNT failed to qualify for the World Cup. Pulisic started off banging last Bundesliga season, and though he's had some wonderful moments since then, he seems to have sort of lost some form ever since the USMNT didn't qualify. I think he's getting through it. I honestly do. He's showing more and more of his old self, beating defenders, making them look silly. But then sometimes he looks tentative. He loses the ball. He's not aggressive enough when he should be; he's too aggressive when he shouldn't be. Granted, it's a lot harder to start games and perform well for 60-90 minutes than it is to come off the bench with fresh legs and look good for 10 to 20. But still. Pulisic is still not enjoying his best form. When he does, it will be scary.
Anyway, it was a cracker of a game. Lucien Favre looked like a genius for bringing on Mo Dahoud, then Jadon Sancho and Paco Alcacer. That was my first real glimpse of Paco Alcacer, and I was impressed. The thing that most impresses me about him is not his ability to score goals, however. The thing that most impresses me about him (and all Barcelona players) is the way they control possession at the top of the opponent's box. It's one thing to pass it around calmly at the half line; it's another to calmly control possession at the top of the box, a vantage point from which you can easily make dangerous things happen, i.e. goals. So how do we (aka Dortmund) move forward after this? Who starts?  Jadon Sancho is not quite ready to be a full-time starter yet. He hasn't shown nearly the magic when starting as he has off the bench. But if not him, who? Jacob Bruun Larsen was essentially a non-factor today. And don't get me started on Marius Wolf. Wolf of course didn't play today, and should never play again. Max Phillip was also a non-factor today. Again, Dortmund shows that it has an abundance of insanely talented players, but Favre, like Stoger and Bosz before him, still hasn't figured out the magic 11. He still hasn't figured out how to get the most out of his players. For now Dortmund lead the Bundesliga. It's a momentous day. But it's marred a little bit by an underwhelming performance from Christian Pulisic. And also by the fact that Josh Sargent didn't play for Werder Bremen today, proving that Florian Kohfeldt might be clinically insane. We look forward then to the Champions League match against Monaco on Wednesday. We look forward for improved performance from Christian Pulisic, which is surely to come. I leave you, then, with a song: [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf9LUNB-JsM]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Pulisic injury and the real reason he's so good

Apparently Christian Pulisic is injured. Which I find interesting, because how can you injure someone whose flesh and blood are not of this world? To injure Christian Pulisic you'd have to touch him, and I've seen what happens when defenders try to touch Christian Pulisic. Generally the ball goes through their legs or they fall down or, in the rare cases when they do lay a by comparison leprous arm on him, they concede some kind of free kick in a dangerous era. So I don't know about this supposed shin injury. And if he is injured, I doubt it happened on the pitch. I bet Isak was playing a prank on him or something like that. Maybe Aubameyang. But I'd bet dollars to proverbial donuts he's not actually injured. His presence was of course missed on the field against Wolfsburg yesterday, though his replacement, Jadon Sancho, killed it. I didn't know Jadon Sancho was that good. I'd seen him his first time on the field, but that was only a few minutes. I sinc

A Letter to Allah or Jesus Concerning Christian Pulisic

It's been a long time since I posted anything. The reason for this is because I moved to Guadalajara, Mexico, and things have been kind of weird. I'm barely surviving. I'm teaching English classes for a painfully low amount. And I don't really know how it's going to change in the next few days, though I know something needs to change. BUT JESUS FUCKING SHIT, ENOUGH ABOUT ME, LET'S TALK ABOUT CHRISTIAN FUCKING PULISIC. So, I never talked about this "dunk": Don't forget, Christian Pulisic is 5'8" 😳 (via @cpulisic_10 ) pic.twitter.com/FfQw1kWOGP — Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) January 2, 2018 And the reason I didn't talk about it is because I don't really care. But one thing I will say is that I don't really believe it. Which is a little bit crazy, since Pulisic confirmed in a video the other day that the rim was indeed 10 feet. That's the part I don't really believe. Because it doesn't look like he j

Pulisic Makes Bryan Ruiz Look like a Nerd

Friends, friends, friends. I made it to Germany. I'm drinking instant coffee in my Air Bnb which is just a hop skip and a triple jump away from the illustrious city of Mainz, where Dortmund will be playing next Tuesday. I'm excited. Barring injury (tap on wood; chainsaw), Pulisic SHOULD PLAY IN THIS GAME. He might not start. But he should at least play. Though lately he's been STARTING EVERY DAMN GAME because he's a FUCKING ANIMAL. AHSDJFJADSKFJDASKFJDSFKDSJFKDSJFDKJD. (I don't handle caffeine well). Quick side note: This Air Bnb is amazing. This town is amazing. My German is about an A2/B1 but I've spoken only German since I've gotten here, since the hostess is from Kosovo and doesn't speak English and the other tenant is a Turkish girl whose English is probably about as good as my German but I've been pushing the German pretty hard because I gotta speak it. Other side note: One of my blog posts has over 100 views. Two of them actually. Who