Skip to main content

Player Ratings: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayer Leverkusen (4-2)

Embed from Getty Images

 Hello everybody! Hello Pulisic fans! Hello Jadon Sancho fans! Hello Marco Reus fans! Marius Wolf fans, you can find a different website, because there is nothing for you here! Mario Gotze fans, I wish there was something for you here, but because Lucien Favre seems to have some kind of vendetta against the metabolism problem-plagued Gotze, there's nothing for you here, either.

Whew. Let's get to the ratings.

Actually, first though, let's talk about my upcoming flight to VIENNA, AUSTRIA. I've put that in caps because I'm so damned excited. I'm going to be studying intensive German for TWO MONTHS! In a city I've NEVER BEEN TO BEFORE. Right next to SLOVAKIA! And HUNGARY!

God, Hungary girls look beautiful.

Anyway, now to the ratings. Actually though first what I REALLY wanted to comment about was how I'm flying Swiss Airways to Vienna and I really, really want to somehow upgrade to business or first class. I know the chances of this happening are extremely low. I know this. But maybe some of you know how it can be done? I have miles on Delta. And Alaska. And I'm somewhat charming.

And NOW, to the ratings. In case you live on Mercury, Dortmund came from behind to stun Bayer Leverkusen yesterday, 4-2. Things looked pretty grim at halftime. I'm sure Lucien Favre was smiling in the locker room, because he's always smiling, but things looked pretty grim. And then Dortmund turned it on. CAN THEY COMPETE WITH BAYERN MUNICH THIS YEAR? Yes, if they figure their starting 11 out, and figure it out soon. If they continue to gel. If they trust in their trainer.

Lucien Favre

Can we give him the credit for the amazing performance of the substitutes in the second half? Apparently, yes.

Rating: 8

Christian Pulisic

Played OK. Had one nice run. Lost the ball a little too much. Worked hard.

Rating: 6

Jadon Sancho

Dear sweet fancy Jesus. What a game this young lad had. What synergy with Marco Reus and the powers of the universe. But, since he didn't play that long, I'm only going to give him an...

Rating: 8

Marco Reus

Really turned it up towards the end. Showed why he's world class. The combo with Jadon Sancho was pure brilliance.

Rating: 9

Dan-Axel Zagadou

Honestly, despite contributing to the shit goal that was Leverkusen's second, Dan-Axel Zagadou was man of the match yesterday. MAN OF THE MATCH. He was the most cool, collected defender. He handled several high pressure situations with the calm he embodies and that no one else can match. Yes, he should've been able to clear the ball from the six. But someone else should've first. Long live Dan-Axel.

Rating: 8

Thomas Delaney

Not a good match for the Dane. Though his yellow card in the beginning of the match really shouldn't have been a yellow.

Rating: 3

Roman Burki

Something annoys me about Roman Burki. Seems like a bit of a pretty boy. Seems too quick to blame his players when things go wrong. At the same time he is very congratulatory toward them when they help him in the back. He had a good game, but possibly could've saved the Tah goal had he been positioned better.

Rating: 6

Axel Witsel

Did a good job of controlling the middle but could still do better. Could demand the ball more, could make his presence more felt.

Rating: 5

Jacob Bruun Larsen

Really a non-factor for most of the game, other than his tap in.

Rating: 4

Paco Alcacer

Ummmm, not sure what to say about the Spaniard. Scored two goals in, what, two minutes? If he keeps it up he'll be the best player on Dortmund. But there's no way he will.

Rating: 7

I know there are other players, but those are all I really care to review. Dortmund now prepare for their game against Monaco on Wednesday, which is going to be hard for me to watch because I'll be on the way to the airport for my flight to SFO, then Zurich, then Vienna. Dortmund are looking good, though, and this come from behind victory only served to help them believe even more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Pulisic injury and the real reason he's so good

Apparently Christian Pulisic is injured. Which I find interesting, because how can you injure someone whose flesh and blood are not of this world? To injure Christian Pulisic you'd have to touch him, and I've seen what happens when defenders try to touch Christian Pulisic. Generally the ball goes through their legs or they fall down or, in the rare cases when they do lay a by comparison leprous arm on him, they concede some kind of free kick in a dangerous era. So I don't know about this supposed shin injury. And if he is injured, I doubt it happened on the pitch. I bet Isak was playing a prank on him or something like that. Maybe Aubameyang. But I'd bet dollars to proverbial donuts he's not actually injured. His presence was of course missed on the field against Wolfsburg yesterday, though his replacement, Jadon Sancho, killed it. I didn't know Jadon Sancho was that good. I'd seen him his first time on the field, but that was only a few minutes. I sinc

Pulisic Makes Bryan Ruiz Look like a Nerd

Friends, friends, friends. I made it to Germany. I'm drinking instant coffee in my Air Bnb which is just a hop skip and a triple jump away from the illustrious city of Mainz, where Dortmund will be playing next Tuesday. I'm excited. Barring injury (tap on wood; chainsaw), Pulisic SHOULD PLAY IN THIS GAME. He might not start. But he should at least play. Though lately he's been STARTING EVERY DAMN GAME because he's a FUCKING ANIMAL. AHSDJFJADSKFJDASKFJDSFKDSJFKDSJFDKJD. (I don't handle caffeine well). Quick side note: This Air Bnb is amazing. This town is amazing. My German is about an A2/B1 but I've spoken only German since I've gotten here, since the hostess is from Kosovo and doesn't speak English and the other tenant is a Turkish girl whose English is probably about as good as my German but I've been pushing the German pretty hard because I gotta speak it. Other side note: One of my blog posts has over 100 views. Two of them actually. Who

Hey Peter Bosz, play Pulisic in the middle (thoughts on Borussia Dortmund vs. Apoel Nicosia)

This morning I got up to rain and wind here in Seattle. I should've known it was a presage of things to come. I went to the grocery store and had tea and wrote some letters. Basically, I was trying to kill time until 11:45am Pacific time, when Champions League started. And then it started. I'd downloaded Sling TV to be able to watch ESPN 3 and Borussia Dortmund vs. Apoel Nicosia, one of the top Cypriot clubs. The good thing about watching this game was I got to learn the word "Cypriot." The bad thing is it was an absolute abortion. A few times during the first half I actually said, in a loud voice in my living room, "This is an abortion." Other things I said: "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?" -- when Götze, Bartra, Yarmolenko, Toprak, Auba, Pulisic and Kagawa gave away the ball time after time after time. "YOU ARE FUCKING OLD AND SLOW." -- when Yarmolenko could've easily gotten to a ball but was too, well, old and slow "