Skip to main content

Thank God the international break is over

Man, Dortmund goes on international break, I can't watch Pulisic for two weeks, and my life goes to shambles. A few things that happened (note: Not all are bad. I mean, I'm chilling in Europe. Last night I walked around mildly drunk on rosé in a town known for its medicinal spring waters):

1) Dortmund loses to Bayern Munich and goes on international break

2) I fly to Copenhagen two days later, spend a shit ton of money and smoke a shit ton of cigarettes and drink a shit ton of beers. I try to touch the leg of the girl I'm staying with who, at least at one point, I was pretty sure liked me, and she says, "What are you doing?"

3) Had dinner with ex-girlfriend in Berlin

4) Slept in same bed as different ex-girlfriend in Berlin (nothing happened. I must note here that this girl is awesome and I'm so glad we've rekindled our friendship. The few days with her and her brother in Berlin have been the best part of this trip by far).

5) Took a bus to Prague

6) Drunkenly made out with a Peruvian girl, really wanted to bring her back to my apartment, she got an Uber.

7) Decided to just "let myself go." Subsequently went to Karlovy Vary, ate McDonald's, drank a half liter of boxed wine, had a conversation in the supermarket with a Russian lady who wanted to know what the word "dry" in Czech meant.

8) Booked a small room in the Czech countryside. Will try to watch the game on TV tonight or, if worse comes to worse, will stream it on my computer. If worse comes to awful, and for some reason the internet isn't working, I'll grab my computer and sprint the 3km to the nearest town and find internet. If my heart explodes, I'll die happy.

I gotta tell you: I have a really really really really really really really really good feeling about this game. Pulisic is going to start. Aubameyang is not, and I think that's actually going to be a good thing, because it will shake things up. And that's exactly what Dortmund needs. They need to shake things up.

Also, I think this international break can only have done Dortmund good. When you're having a bad streak a break can be exactly what you need. It allows you to forget about the past and gain the renewed confidence that comes just from thinking about the game and your opponent and how you're going to kick the daylights out of them.

Also, with regards to Pulisic, he's in tremendous form right now. He's rested from the international break, he played like a fucking animal in the Bayern game, and you just get the feeling that his confidence is somewhere in the stratosphere. So, I think there could very well be some fireworks in this game. And I'll leave it at that.

(ALSO, he wrote a 3,000 word essay on the state of US soccer. I will address that in a different post. Because it's pretty incredible (the fact that he wrote it at all more anything).)

Predictions for tonight's game? Well, while you guys are either at the game or in a bar in Germany somewhere or watching it from your homes in the US, I'll be nestled in the Czech countryside, possibly drinking a beer, possibly farting, definitely eyes peeled wide and trembling.

Predictions: Philipp, Yarmolenko, and Pulisic up top. Weigl at holding midfielder. Dortmund gets an early goal. Dortmund gets 5,000 goals over the next 80 minutes (and by 5,000 I mean 3.) Dortmund 3-1.

THE INTERNATIONAL BREAK IS FINALLY OVER!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Pulisic injury and the real reason he's so good

Apparently Christian Pulisic is injured. Which I find interesting, because how can you injure someone whose flesh and blood are not of this world? To injure Christian Pulisic you'd have to touch him, and I've seen what happens when defenders try to touch Christian Pulisic. Generally the ball goes through their legs or they fall down or, in the rare cases when they do lay a by comparison leprous arm on him, they concede some kind of free kick in a dangerous era. So I don't know about this supposed shin injury. And if he is injured, I doubt it happened on the pitch. I bet Isak was playing a prank on him or something like that. Maybe Aubameyang. But I'd bet dollars to proverbial donuts he's not actually injured. His presence was of course missed on the field against Wolfsburg yesterday, though his replacement, Jadon Sancho, killed it. I didn't know Jadon Sancho was that good. I'd seen him his first time on the field, but that was only a few minutes. I sinc

A Letter to Allah or Jesus Concerning Christian Pulisic

It's been a long time since I posted anything. The reason for this is because I moved to Guadalajara, Mexico, and things have been kind of weird. I'm barely surviving. I'm teaching English classes for a painfully low amount. And I don't really know how it's going to change in the next few days, though I know something needs to change. BUT JESUS FUCKING SHIT, ENOUGH ABOUT ME, LET'S TALK ABOUT CHRISTIAN FUCKING PULISIC. So, I never talked about this "dunk": Don't forget, Christian Pulisic is 5'8" 😳 (via @cpulisic_10 ) pic.twitter.com/FfQw1kWOGP — Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) January 2, 2018 And the reason I didn't talk about it is because I don't really care. But one thing I will say is that I don't really believe it. Which is a little bit crazy, since Pulisic confirmed in a video the other day that the rim was indeed 10 feet. That's the part I don't really believe. Because it doesn't look like he j

Pulisic Makes Bryan Ruiz Look like a Nerd

Friends, friends, friends. I made it to Germany. I'm drinking instant coffee in my Air Bnb which is just a hop skip and a triple jump away from the illustrious city of Mainz, where Dortmund will be playing next Tuesday. I'm excited. Barring injury (tap on wood; chainsaw), Pulisic SHOULD PLAY IN THIS GAME. He might not start. But he should at least play. Though lately he's been STARTING EVERY DAMN GAME because he's a FUCKING ANIMAL. AHSDJFJADSKFJDASKFJDSFKDSJFKDSJFDKJD. (I don't handle caffeine well). Quick side note: This Air Bnb is amazing. This town is amazing. My German is about an A2/B1 but I've spoken only German since I've gotten here, since the hostess is from Kosovo and doesn't speak English and the other tenant is a Turkish girl whose English is probably about as good as my German but I've been pushing the German pretty hard because I gotta speak it. Other side note: One of my blog posts has over 100 views. Two of them actually. Who