Skip to main content

USA beats Panama 4-0, Pulisic convenes with soccer gods

On Friday the USMNT played Panama in what had been called a must win for their World Cup qualifying chances. In truth it wasn't a must win; given the softness of CONCACAF the US could still draw or even lose and there were still about 600 scenarios that would allow them to go to the World Cup. In CONCACAF if you want to go to the World Cup you basically just have to ask.

Though at this point Panama might have to ask pretty insistently. Everyone knew the first 20 minutes of Friday's game in Orlando, which saw Altidore, Pulisic, and Wood start up top, would be pivotal. Would the US come out and roll over like they did against Costa Rica? Would they look tentative like against Honduras?

The answer was a resounding no.

In the first two minutes Pulisic did a compound (where you hit the ball on one side of the defender and run past him on the other), quickly letting everyone know who was watching that, "My name is Christian. I am here to play soccer. I don't know what game the rest of you are playing, but I'll show you how we play at the highest level in the world."

His subsequent pass to Altidore wasn't the best, or the US might've gotten on the board right away. But luckily, they didn't have to wait much longer.

In the eighth minute a goal kick came out that Bobby Wood perfectly flicked on.  Jozy then played a deft touch to Pulisic, who took it from behind him (this first touch was incredible), and in an instant was sprinting toward the Panamanian goal. He sliced in between two defenders. His second touch was just far away from him to tempt Penedo, the goalkeeper out, who Pulisic sprinted past to slip the ball into the goal from an angle that was rapidly decreasing.


So, um, maybe you've heard of this guy. He also likes to round goalkeepers.

Pulisic's celebration was ferocious. He said after the game that he guessed "the emotion just came out." He grabbed his shirt and shook his hands and screamed at the crowd. He looked like an animal that's just been let out of a cage. He looked like a teenager with boundless energy and potential and a soccer boot that one day might be dipped in gold.


That first touch...

Things looked good for the US, and they looked even better 10 minutes later when Pulisic beat a defender with a fluid stepover and put a perfect cross into Altidore who redirected it in for a 2-0 lead.

These first two goals were flawless. The first goal was more exciting and more dramatic, but the second goal had plenty of merit, too. The fearlessness and confidence with which Pulisic went at the defender. The perfection of his cross which would've been defended or slipped past Altidore had it been 10 inches in either direction. And also, not so talked about, Altidore's brilliant run, deking toward the near post and then straightening out toward the center of the goal, in the perfect place to receive the pass. After his goal Altidore appeared to just stand still in front of the crowd, looking up into the stands. "This is me," he seemed to be saying. "I am Jozy."

From that point on the US seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. The USMNT definitely did not look flawless in this game, despite the clean sheet. Panama had several dynamite chances, and Omar Gonzalez and Besler, despite looking better than the US defense against Costa Rica and Honduras, were anything but impermeable.

Luckily, DeAndre Yedlin was back in the lineup. It cannot be understated how important it is to have a defender of his caliber on the back line. At one point both Gonzalez and Besler got beat on a mediocre dribbling run and it only ended when Yedlin came from across the field to clean up the mess. He also had a ball-clearing header that, were he not there, might've easily ended in a goal.

As for the USMNT midfield, Paul Arriola looked wonderful. His passes were crisp and he attacked and filled space well. He also had a few goal-scoring opportunities which, if he continues to get minutes, I'm sure will find the back of the net. Hopefully he does continue to get minutes, since building a midfield around Michael Bradley seems to be about the fastest road to mediocrity. Bradley looked his usual slow self throughout the game, giving the ball away egregiously on a couple of occasions and generally not looking dangerous.

Back to CP, the best article so far on his performance yesterday is this one. It highlights Pulisic's youth and fearlessness. As the article states, Pulisic is (on the topic of revered Panamanian Felipe Baloy) "a teenager who’s too young to have any idea who the hell Felipe Baloy is or why attackers once feared him. To Pulisic, Baloy was just another slow defender ready to be eaten alive."

Once again when Pulisic scored his first goal I found myself on my knees with my arms thrust skyward, overcome with jubilation. What a goal. What a performance. The US, despite some stumbling points, had some moments of greatness in this game. On Tuesday hopefully we will see more flashes of brilliance and also plenty of calm controlled possession, something lacking at times against Panama. One person I know we'll see more from is the focus of this blog and the focus of the collective US soccer world right now and hopefully for many years to come, Christian Pulisic.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Pulisic injury and the real reason he's so good

Apparently Christian Pulisic is injured. Which I find interesting, because how can you injure someone whose flesh and blood are not of this world? To injure Christian Pulisic you'd have to touch him, and I've seen what happens when defenders try to touch Christian Pulisic. Generally the ball goes through their legs or they fall down or, in the rare cases when they do lay a by comparison leprous arm on him, they concede some kind of free kick in a dangerous era. So I don't know about this supposed shin injury. And if he is injured, I doubt it happened on the pitch. I bet Isak was playing a prank on him or something like that. Maybe Aubameyang. But I'd bet dollars to proverbial donuts he's not actually injured. His presence was of course missed on the field against Wolfsburg yesterday, though his replacement, Jadon Sancho, killed it. I didn't know Jadon Sancho was that good. I'd seen him his first time on the field, but that was only a few minutes. I sinc

A Letter to Allah or Jesus Concerning Christian Pulisic

It's been a long time since I posted anything. The reason for this is because I moved to Guadalajara, Mexico, and things have been kind of weird. I'm barely surviving. I'm teaching English classes for a painfully low amount. And I don't really know how it's going to change in the next few days, though I know something needs to change. BUT JESUS FUCKING SHIT, ENOUGH ABOUT ME, LET'S TALK ABOUT CHRISTIAN FUCKING PULISIC. So, I never talked about this "dunk": Don't forget, Christian Pulisic is 5'8" 😳 (via @cpulisic_10 ) pic.twitter.com/FfQw1kWOGP — Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) January 2, 2018 And the reason I didn't talk about it is because I don't really care. But one thing I will say is that I don't really believe it. Which is a little bit crazy, since Pulisic confirmed in a video the other day that the rim was indeed 10 feet. That's the part I don't really believe. Because it doesn't look like he j

Pulisic Makes Bryan Ruiz Look like a Nerd

Friends, friends, friends. I made it to Germany. I'm drinking instant coffee in my Air Bnb which is just a hop skip and a triple jump away from the illustrious city of Mainz, where Dortmund will be playing next Tuesday. I'm excited. Barring injury (tap on wood; chainsaw), Pulisic SHOULD PLAY IN THIS GAME. He might not start. But he should at least play. Though lately he's been STARTING EVERY DAMN GAME because he's a FUCKING ANIMAL. AHSDJFJADSKFJDASKFJDSFKDSJFKDSJFDKJD. (I don't handle caffeine well). Quick side note: This Air Bnb is amazing. This town is amazing. My German is about an A2/B1 but I've spoken only German since I've gotten here, since the hostess is from Kosovo and doesn't speak English and the other tenant is a Turkish girl whose English is probably about as good as my German but I've been pushing the German pretty hard because I gotta speak it. Other side note: One of my blog posts has over 100 views. Two of them actually. Who