Skip to main content

Why Christian Pulisic needs to start against Bayern Munich tomorrow (and why he probably won't)


For the last four or five Dortmund games (with the exception of Magdeburg) I've been tempted to say, "This is the most important game of the season so far." Saturday's game against FC Bayern Munich is no different, and quite possibly the most important potential start (or no start) for American soccer phenom Christian Pulisic, aka the Man Child from Hershey, aka Cha Boi, aka Slice 'n Dice, aka Man's Not Hot, aka the Worthy Winger, aka the Man with the Most Dribbles, aka Mr. Dab, aka I'm Just a Teenage Schwarzgelb, aka Shake 'n Bake, aka Harry Potter and the Aubameyang's Stone, aka Cross my Heart and Hope to Stepover, aka Old Enough for Trouble Too Young to Care, etc. etc.

Why is this the most important potential start for Christian Pulisic? Because Peter Bosz has yet to iron out a regular starting 11. Because when you're 19 you need to feel like your coach believes in you and ever since the arrival of Andrey "Back Heel" Yarmolenko, that trust has been in question. Because Pulisic is on the edge of doing something completely dirty that will make the opposing defenders look like they've been frozen in a different decade, something that will light up Twitter accounts across the globe and appear on Sportscenter and have Messi saying, "Che, I heard about some American kid they call 'cha boi' who looks pretty filthy." Because he didn't start against Real Madrid, the most important game of the season before this one, and you could see it hurt him to the core. Because if someone's going to be the leader of BVB one day it's not going to be Yarmolenko and it's not going to be Philipp but it could very well be cha boi. Because tomorrow's game is unequivocally THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME SO FAR OF THE DORTMUND season, and cha boi needs to be on the field. 
Now, despite all this, it doesn't look like Christian Pulisic will start. And actually, if he doesn't, I'll be pissed, but not as pissed as I could be. Bosz has shown SOME trust in him lately. He started him against Hannover, a must win after several games of shit. He started him against Apoel, the game after Hannover, also a must win after several games of shit. But will he start three games in a row? Probably not. Sports Illustrated doesn't think so, Bundesliga.com doesn't think so, and frankly, cha boi (me this time) has his doubts. 

If I'm Peter Bosz tomorrow here's what I'm doing. I'm pulling Christian Pulisic aside in the dressing room and I'm saying to him in German or Dutch or Swahili or English or any language at all because cha boi understands them all, "Listen, cha boi [Peter Bosz this time] has cha boi's back. I'm starting you today and have started you the last two games because I believe in you like a Mormon believes in creationism. I want you to do the following: I want you to run at defenders like a hippo runs at a safari guide. I want you to make passes to Pierre Emerick Aubameyang that look like they're guided by a laser. I want you to do something to make the fans' jaws drop, because you're one of the few players on the field capable of doing so. So get out there and go at them with no fear." 

In a dream world, this conversation takes place. And from everything I've heard Signal Iduna Park is pretty closet to a dream world. Start or no start for Pulisic one thing's for certain, tomorrow's match between Borussia Dortmund and FC Bayern Munich is going to be a cracker. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Pulisic injury and the real reason he's so good

Apparently Christian Pulisic is injured. Which I find interesting, because how can you injure someone whose flesh and blood are not of this world? To injure Christian Pulisic you'd have to touch him, and I've seen what happens when defenders try to touch Christian Pulisic. Generally the ball goes through their legs or they fall down or, in the rare cases when they do lay a by comparison leprous arm on him, they concede some kind of free kick in a dangerous era. So I don't know about this supposed shin injury. And if he is injured, I doubt it happened on the pitch. I bet Isak was playing a prank on him or something like that. Maybe Aubameyang. But I'd bet dollars to proverbial donuts he's not actually injured. His presence was of course missed on the field against Wolfsburg yesterday, though his replacement, Jadon Sancho, killed it. I didn't know Jadon Sancho was that good. I'd seen him his first time on the field, but that was only a few minutes. I sinc

A Letter to Allah or Jesus Concerning Christian Pulisic

It's been a long time since I posted anything. The reason for this is because I moved to Guadalajara, Mexico, and things have been kind of weird. I'm barely surviving. I'm teaching English classes for a painfully low amount. And I don't really know how it's going to change in the next few days, though I know something needs to change. BUT JESUS FUCKING SHIT, ENOUGH ABOUT ME, LET'S TALK ABOUT CHRISTIAN FUCKING PULISIC. So, I never talked about this "dunk": Don't forget, Christian Pulisic is 5'8" 😳 (via @cpulisic_10 ) pic.twitter.com/FfQw1kWOGP — Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) January 2, 2018 And the reason I didn't talk about it is because I don't really care. But one thing I will say is that I don't really believe it. Which is a little bit crazy, since Pulisic confirmed in a video the other day that the rim was indeed 10 feet. That's the part I don't really believe. Because it doesn't look like he j

Pulisic Makes Bryan Ruiz Look like a Nerd

Friends, friends, friends. I made it to Germany. I'm drinking instant coffee in my Air Bnb which is just a hop skip and a triple jump away from the illustrious city of Mainz, where Dortmund will be playing next Tuesday. I'm excited. Barring injury (tap on wood; chainsaw), Pulisic SHOULD PLAY IN THIS GAME. He might not start. But he should at least play. Though lately he's been STARTING EVERY DAMN GAME because he's a FUCKING ANIMAL. AHSDJFJADSKFJDASKFJDSFKDSJFKDSJFDKJD. (I don't handle caffeine well). Quick side note: This Air Bnb is amazing. This town is amazing. My German is about an A2/B1 but I've spoken only German since I've gotten here, since the hostess is from Kosovo and doesn't speak English and the other tenant is a Turkish girl whose English is probably about as good as my German but I've been pushing the German pretty hard because I gotta speak it. Other side note: One of my blog posts has over 100 views. Two of them actually. Who