Skip to main content

Does a real Pulisic fan learn German?

Short answer: Obviously.

Long answer: There are essentially several reasons why a real Christian Pulisic fan needs to learn German. The most obvious is that Pulisic plays for a German team. If you're a real Pulisic fan, you plan on going to Germany in the next year or so to watch him before he's possibly transferred somewhere else. Anytime you go to a foreign country, your experience is enriched immeasurably even by learning the slightest bit of the local language. Ideally, a real Pulisic fan is paying primo cash this exact minute for a private tutor name Greta, stealing glances on his smartphone to read this very blog post while she drones on about the accusative case or the dative (though he doesn't want to be too disrespectful, as he's also trying to date her). The real Pulisic fan is also doing apps like Duolingo and Busuu to supplement his vocabulary. Bottom line: When you get to Dortmund and Signal Iduna Park, you're going to want to mingle with the locals before, during, and after the game. You're going to want to know how to say phrases likes, "the newest hot shit in American soccer," and, "my girlfriend broke up with me because I'm moving to Germany," and after the game, when you're drunk and wearing a Dortmund scarf and generally screaming, "My love for Christian Pulisic is the only bright spot in my life right now."

Another huge reason to learn German is that almost all of the content on the BVB website is in German, and not all of it has subtitles. There are 15 minute videos of Christian being interviewed by Nobby Dickel, former Dortmund star. Please notice: Plural. VideoS. And you can put on auto-generated subtitles in German, but not in English. You get to see CP joke around, talk to Felix Passlack, talk about his Dortmund living situation, and everything else a rabid CP fan could dream of. Only catch? It's all in German. So start learning.

I started learning German before I discovered Pulisic, since my roots are German and I have family there. Then, when I found out about Pulisic, I redoubled my efforts to the point where I can now say things like, "After she'd left him he couldn't sleep" (Duolingo has weird phrases).

I do plan to go to Germany in the near future, I do plan to see a game in person, I do plan to continue learning German, and I do plan to practice this German in the context of a Dortmund game.

And possibly, a Dortmund life?

Echte liebe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Pulisic injury and the real reason he's so good

Apparently Christian Pulisic is injured. Which I find interesting, because how can you injure someone whose flesh and blood are not of this world? To injure Christian Pulisic you'd have to touch him, and I've seen what happens when defenders try to touch Christian Pulisic. Generally the ball goes through their legs or they fall down or, in the rare cases when they do lay a by comparison leprous arm on him, they concede some kind of free kick in a dangerous era. So I don't know about this supposed shin injury. And if he is injured, I doubt it happened on the pitch. I bet Isak was playing a prank on him or something like that. Maybe Aubameyang. But I'd bet dollars to proverbial donuts he's not actually injured. His presence was of course missed on the field against Wolfsburg yesterday, though his replacement, Jadon Sancho, killed it. I didn't know Jadon Sancho was that good. I'd seen him his first time on the field, but that was only a few minutes. I sinc

A Letter to Allah or Jesus Concerning Christian Pulisic

It's been a long time since I posted anything. The reason for this is because I moved to Guadalajara, Mexico, and things have been kind of weird. I'm barely surviving. I'm teaching English classes for a painfully low amount. And I don't really know how it's going to change in the next few days, though I know something needs to change. BUT JESUS FUCKING SHIT, ENOUGH ABOUT ME, LET'S TALK ABOUT CHRISTIAN FUCKING PULISIC. So, I never talked about this "dunk": Don't forget, Christian Pulisic is 5'8" 😳 (via @cpulisic_10 ) pic.twitter.com/FfQw1kWOGP — Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) January 2, 2018 And the reason I didn't talk about it is because I don't really care. But one thing I will say is that I don't really believe it. Which is a little bit crazy, since Pulisic confirmed in a video the other day that the rim was indeed 10 feet. That's the part I don't really believe. Because it doesn't look like he j

Pulisic Makes Bryan Ruiz Look like a Nerd

Friends, friends, friends. I made it to Germany. I'm drinking instant coffee in my Air Bnb which is just a hop skip and a triple jump away from the illustrious city of Mainz, where Dortmund will be playing next Tuesday. I'm excited. Barring injury (tap on wood; chainsaw), Pulisic SHOULD PLAY IN THIS GAME. He might not start. But he should at least play. Though lately he's been STARTING EVERY DAMN GAME because he's a FUCKING ANIMAL. AHSDJFJADSKFJDASKFJDSFKDSJFKDSJFDKJD. (I don't handle caffeine well). Quick side note: This Air Bnb is amazing. This town is amazing. My German is about an A2/B1 but I've spoken only German since I've gotten here, since the hostess is from Kosovo and doesn't speak English and the other tenant is a Turkish girl whose English is probably about as good as my German but I've been pushing the German pretty hard because I gotta speak it. Other side note: One of my blog posts has over 100 views. Two of them actually. Who