Skip to main content

Finally Time? Josh Sargent and his imminent debut

Embed from Getty Images

 Hello Pulisic Fans, And hello Josh Sargent fans, too. If you're a Pulisic fan, and you're American, you're probably also a Josh Sargent fan. You'd have to be a fool not to be. Josh Sargent is a man-beast from Missouri who likes nothing other than to have red hair and score goals. His trademark celebration is something at the same time badass, at the same time simple, and at the same time unequivocally American: the salute. [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJKMkOsC9_o] Wait, why did you just pass me the ball? Josh seems to be saying in this video. And then: I'm going to punish you. And then: I'm going to salute the crowd. And then: Tim Weah and I are going to hug and think about what a bright future the USMNT has, a future not marred by the presence of Michael Bradley, a future in which games against teams from small Caribbean islands will not be taken for granted, a future in which the US excels. But let's talk about Josh Sargent's debut for Werder Bremen, which supposedly could happen any game now. According to Sport1, sporting director for Werder Bremen Thomas Schaaf said, "It will not be long. We know what we have with him." What I like about this quote is that it means Josh will be playing soon, but also that it's sort of wonderfully cryptic. "We know what we have with him." Do you know? If you did know he would've been playing more. Josh Sargent eats nails for breakfast. He wakes up in the morning and the first thing he does after showering with a brillo pad is score goals. I realize that scoring a slough of goals for the second team is not the same as performing for the first team. I realize Josh probably doesn't speak perfect German yet. I realize he probably barely speaks any German at all. I realize some of my ancestors got on a boat in Bremen in the 1800s and came to America. I realize my mom is from a town in Ohio called New Bremen. I realize I wanted to study German in Bremen this fall but there didn't seem to be any good schools so now I'm going to Vienna. I realize Josh is going to obliterate expectations people have on him. I realize Florian Kohfeldt will wake up in a year in a cold sweat, thinking, Why did I not play Josh Sargent sooner? Why? And then fall asleep sobbing. I realize Josh Sargent's debut is imminent. I'd just love to know exactly when. Alexi Lalas seemed to think it would happen last game against Hertha:
And seems to think that if it didn't happen then it will happen against Stuttgart tomorrow. Here's what I think: Josh Sargent will be in lineup tomorrow against Stuttgart. He'll be on the bench. He'll come in in the 80th minute. And, dragging four Stuttgart players behind him in the box, refusing to go down, refusing to solicit a penalty, he'll put the ball in the back of the net. But at the very least I hope he debuts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Josh Sargent Slated for First Team Start (and Pulisic injury speculation)

Let's talk about life goals today. Let's talk about Josh Sargent. Let's talk about Christian Pulisic. Let's talk about Weston McKennie. Let's talk about all the Young Americans currently making their presences felt in the Bundesliga. And let's also talk about surfing. I've been following Josh Sargent at Werder Bremen over the past few months, wondering when he'll get his first first team start. He's been lighting shit up on the second team, with five goals in the last seven matches. And then, the other day, this happened: Josh Sargent's goal for Werder's first team today. Courtesy of u/DerUser-X on Reddit. pic.twitter.com/GPYddT1yyR — USMNT Videos (@USMNTvideos) September 8, 2018 No, your eyes do not deceive you. Josh Sargent's first ever (as far as I can tell) goal for the first team at Werder Bremen. Florian Kohfeldt, the Bremen head coach, has been saying for awhile that Josh is getting groomed for his first first team start ...

Christian Pulisic injury and the real reason he's so good

Apparently Christian Pulisic is injured. Which I find interesting, because how can you injure someone whose flesh and blood are not of this world? To injure Christian Pulisic you'd have to touch him, and I've seen what happens when defenders try to touch Christian Pulisic. Generally the ball goes through their legs or they fall down or, in the rare cases when they do lay a by comparison leprous arm on him, they concede some kind of free kick in a dangerous era. So I don't know about this supposed shin injury. And if he is injured, I doubt it happened on the pitch. I bet Isak was playing a prank on him or something like that. Maybe Aubameyang. But I'd bet dollars to proverbial donuts he's not actually injured. His presence was of course missed on the field against Wolfsburg yesterday, though his replacement, Jadon Sancho, killed it. I didn't know Jadon Sancho was that good. I'd seen him his first time on the field, but that was only a few minutes. I sinc...

Indigestion, Weston McKennie Is a God, and Torn Calf Fibers

Hello friends and lovers, And welcome to another rambling post from yours truly, Mark Thomas, dictator for life here at Straight Outta Hershey, the only damn blog in the damn universe dedicated to the one and only Christian Pulisic. So I'm sitting in my Airbnb in Vienna, Austria right now, drinking a Turkish tea that the girl whose apartment this is made. Of course it's making me feel nauseous since I'm drinking it on an empty stomach. And now I've just switched the keyboard over to US English, which means the y and z keys are back where they're supposed to be, and this is contributing to my upset stomach. To top it all off I have dandruff. And my stomach is messed up from a weird doner I ate the other day. Or possibly some Tom Kha Gai soup. I'm not sure which one. But I'm in Vienna, and today I start level B1.2 of my intensive German course. Hell yeah. Intensive German. I hope there are some cuties in my class. I've sent about 20 messages on okcu...