Skip to main content

Why didn't Pulisic start against Köln?

I was bummed when I turned on the TV this morning to watch Dortmund vs. Köln and saw that Pulisic wasn't on the field. At first I thought maybe I'd missed him, but his tiny steps when trotting are hard to miss.

It was good to see him warming up with Julian Weigl before the game, engaged in conversation and laughing. I wondered what language they were speaking. For some reason I think English, since in an Instagram or Twitter post Christian said something @ Weigl in English. And I'm sure it's English with Isak, who was also in the warmup mix, since Isak is fresh from Sweden and probably doesn't speak German.

Philipp's goal from Yarmolenko just a few minutes into the game was a cracker. Yarmelenko isn't the most graceful of players, but he seems to get the job done. And Philipp's header was nothing short of brilliant. I couldn't help but think, though: Shit, does Philipp playing well mean more bench time for Pulisic? And then of course Philip scored again later and BVB crushed Koln. Is Peter Bosz thinking, "Well, we just crushed this team, and Pulisic wasn't on the field"? Is he thinking this even a little bit? Hopefully he's not. Hopefully he's  thinking: "We played well today and Köln is the worst team in the league and we have depth and if Pulisic was on the field we might've crushed them by even more. He might've done a stepover and the Koln defenders might've crapped their pants and he and Auba might've connected for eight goals in 20 minutes."

I must say that things haven't quite been falling into place lately for Christian Pulisic. Some of his crosses have been off as well as some of his dribbles and passes. But here's the thing: Any time he's on the field he's one of the most dangerous players out there. Things have been a fraction off the past few games with his final touches, which means when they're back on again there are going to be many balls in the net, many assists, and many defenders with ankle injuries as CP cuts them up with his dribbling ability (think Bryan Ruiz in the Costa Rica qualifier, who probably has nightmares about CP tearing him to shreds at midfield [also, Bryan Ruiz is ugly]).

Anyway, that's it for today. Three more sleeps and it's Dortmund vs Hamburg. Please God or Peter Bosz or whoever the hell's in charge, let CP start, let him score a goal, let him get an assist, and let the Hamburgers cry about their season that started off so well. But let Bobby Wood score too, since he's rad.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Josh Sargent Slated for First Team Start (and Pulisic injury speculation)

Let's talk about life goals today. Let's talk about Josh Sargent. Let's talk about Christian Pulisic. Let's talk about Weston McKennie. Let's talk about all the Young Americans currently making their presences felt in the Bundesliga. And let's also talk about surfing. I've been following Josh Sargent at Werder Bremen over the past few months, wondering when he'll get his first first team start. He's been lighting shit up on the second team, with five goals in the last seven matches. And then, the other day, this happened: Josh Sargent's goal for Werder's first team today. Courtesy of u/DerUser-X on Reddit. pic.twitter.com/GPYddT1yyR — USMNT Videos (@USMNTvideos) September 8, 2018 No, your eyes do not deceive you. Josh Sargent's first ever (as far as I can tell) goal for the first team at Werder Bremen. Florian Kohfeldt, the Bremen head coach, has been saying for awhile that Josh is getting groomed for his first first team start ...

Christian Pulisic Misses Salzburg Match with Non-Terminal Illness

Dortmund rolled into Salzburg today to compete for a spot in the Europa League Round of 8 conspicuously absent one key player. Looks like Pulisic has flu and Toprak is out with a muscle problem #BVB #FCSBVB https://t.co/9bJfnfO7si — BVB Buzz (@BVBBuzz) March 15, 2018 Christian Pulisic apparently has the flu, which I don't believe, since I don't believe Christian Pulisic gets sick. I mean, Michael Jordan played through the flu before, and I'm not comparing CP to Michael Jordan, but the kid can dunk.  Pulisic: People doubt me, but I can dunk! https://t.co/I8oSqWO7M3 !?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter pic.twitter.com/WSMKf5kZcs — Dave Masters (@davemasters) January 11, 2018 (I dunked once in warm-ups before a rec league basketball game in high school. It was the only time I ever dunked in my illustrious basketball career. Most of the other times I stuck to left-handed layups.) Dortmund played the opposite of good today, which, unless my English fai...

Christian Pulisic injury and the real reason he's so good

Apparently Christian Pulisic is injured. Which I find interesting, because how can you injure someone whose flesh and blood are not of this world? To injure Christian Pulisic you'd have to touch him, and I've seen what happens when defenders try to touch Christian Pulisic. Generally the ball goes through their legs or they fall down or, in the rare cases when they do lay a by comparison leprous arm on him, they concede some kind of free kick in a dangerous era. So I don't know about this supposed shin injury. And if he is injured, I doubt it happened on the pitch. I bet Isak was playing a prank on him or something like that. Maybe Aubameyang. But I'd bet dollars to proverbial donuts he's not actually injured. His presence was of course missed on the field against Wolfsburg yesterday, though his replacement, Jadon Sancho, killed it. I didn't know Jadon Sancho was that good. I'd seen him his first time on the field, but that was only a few minutes. I sinc...